Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Front Yard

This picture was taken 3 years ago.
It looks much the same today (minus the houseplants, box, and beautiful painting).

Every year since we've lived in this house (we're approaching 8 years) I've wanted to rip out the front yard and put in a garden. We have a two-story brick colonial built in 1945. Smallish, but big enough for us. The neighborhood, our block in particular, is the real attraction (that plus the full-sun in the backyard -- a rarity in this neighborhood filled with large pin oaks). My friends live on my block. We hang out together, share plants, watch each other's children, run races together, and cheer each other on.

I designed a front yard brick courtyard with a small-scale knot garden (Colonial Williamsburg-esque without being too rigid) where I could sit on a bench chatting with neighbors while the kids rode bikes or jumped rope.

I've always had great reasons not to implement any plans: we were told our sewer line needed to be replaced; we don't have the money for the new hardscape; we don't have the money or time for the plantings ...

But maybe I can do a little bit at a time. Start ripping up the sod while saving for the brick courtyard. Get a 2nd opinion on our sewer line and start amending the soil. I think this fall is the time. I've waited long enough!

Do you have a front yard garden? Plans for one? Do you need inspiration? Those clever, talented folks over at Gardening Gone Wild are hosting a Garden Bloggers Design Workshop on Front Yard Gardens. Check it out!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

At least so far its not WORSE! I think ours is worse. We loved the trees in the front--and they were struck by lightning. So now it is bare with a poor excuse for grass. I did put in a Henry Lauder's Walking Stick that I still love.

Barbee' said...

I have read and browsed all the way down to here and have enjoyed my visit so much. Love the kids, dog, pictures of garden and oven. Great blog! Glad I found you on Blotanical.